***Subscribe above and get FREEBIES sent to your email once a week. I’ll never spam or send junk mail.***
+++Pic’s at the bottom showcasing products+++
The angels started singing and I had stars in my eyes. My heart fluttered as I stood there in dismay going over that marvelous receipt. I had never seen something so incredible! Could it be possible? Was all the buzz I’d heard about this store true? Could I really feed my hungry family of 5 on such small amounts per month? I’ll tell ya this; once we put the van in the shop for some repairs, I knew I had to give it a shot. Our budget needed some wiggle room and our grocery bill was the place to start first.
I had heard and read TONS about how wonderful Aldi is but I never really bit the bullet. There’s no reason why. I just got very comfortable shopping at other grocery stores or Walmart. I didn’t want to learn another system. And now I could kick myself. Oh the amount of money I have been wasting (says dramatically as I slap my forehead!). DOH!
I’m not sure why I finally walked into Aldi the first time. I think I wanted to see what all the fuss was about. I was doubtful that this way of grocery shopping could really change my exploding grocery bill. You see, I have 2 pre-teen boys that eat E V E R Y T H I N G in sight and the only way to keep enough food in our house is to turn it into my own personal Costco. We also have a 5 year old daughter who tries to keep up with her brothers so she’s eating a ton, too. How rich I’d be if only I could bottle their metabolism and sell it! *sigh I digress.
- Take a quarter. That’s how you get your cart to shop. Then you get it back when you return the cart. That’s one way Aldi saves you money by not hiring someone to gather up carts.
- Bring your own bags. That’s another way they help you save. Aldi sells AWESOME grocery bags for only $.10 each. I have 10. Don’t judge me. 🙂
- No one will bag your groceries and you won’t have time to when checking out (those checkers move incredibly fast because THEY ARE ON A TIMER so be extremely kind. They don’t want to get fired.
- At the end of checkout, go to the table and bag your own groceries before heading to your car. It takes 5 minutes (even with a full cart) and it’s well worth the money you’re saving.
- Look at every single item. Take your time the first few times you go. You ARE going to miss something if you go too fast your first trip.
- Be willing to try their brands. The quality of their food is sooo good.
Let me show you what I found! First let me ease what may be your concern (’cause it was definitely one of mine). THEY HAVE TONS OF HEALTHY FOOD CHOICES AND FANTASTIC PRODUCE (the brand is called “Fit and Active” but I’ll get to that later)!! See, I do not want to coupon or save money and only eat junk food. Now, we have our share of junk in the house but we don’t eat that all day long.
Today, they had Mt Rainier cherries. Y’all. Those things sell for $7-9 per pound. Aldi had them today for $4.40! WHAT?! Those are a family favorite and remind us of living near Seattle. Gosh, they are so tasty! Their cheeses are so yummy as is the hummus (they have several flavors).
Now I know this meat section seems small but they have all kinds of chicken, pork, and beef (the other meats are in the frozen section). The quality is top notch and we have yet to be disappointed in any of them.
Y’all! They have UNSWEETENED VANILLA ALMOND MILK! Say, what?! They also have healthier yogurts (and regular) and sugar free coffee creamers. Their coffee creamers are just as tasty as the expensive stuff (personally, I love Aldi’s creamer better…there’s no chemical aftertaste and it’s more creamy).
Their “Fit and Active” brand comes in snack foods, treats, frozen desserts and YOGURT! Their yogurt is really good (I just don’t have a pic yet as I forgot to buy it. Doh).
At the end, I had this. Almost enough food to feed us a solid 2.5-3 weeks (I’ll head back for things like eggs/fruits) and the grand total was………
$158.00!!! WHAT?! Are you serious? I could blow that amount easily for only 1 week at other chain stores. I couldn’t even do this well at Walmart! I am hooked. A loyal consumer/customer of Aldi. I’ll never stray (unless we move where there isn’t one).
We’ve been shopping at Aldi for about 3 months now and I’m here to tell you, my grocery bill has been cut in half. HALF!!! YAY for sticking to our budget and saving money!